Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Let’s post our CPU and Optimization queries and discussions in this thread.

Here are some tips to get us started:

1) Collapsing the patch so that none of the LADD graphics show will maximize the Graphics CPU. TO do that, you can click on this button bellow:
      [attachment=0:1nbcr31i]Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 11.39.52 AM.png[/attachment:1nbcr31i]

2) This is not common knowledge, but distributing the heavier patches (or most often used) on multiple instances of Kontakt will more evenly distribute the CPU tasks among the multi-core processors.

3) Purging notes you don’t need (clicking on the blue button Mix Mics below) will purge those sounds from memory ad also will not be played if certain Mic mixes are un-muted in the mixer.
      [attachment=1:1nbcr31i]Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 10.03.00 AM.png[/attachment:1nbcr31i]

4) I’ve kept an eye on voice count for all patches (at the group level), but your Max Voice Count can be lowered if you believe there is a culprit.

If there are CPU heavy patches (more heavy than you think is necessary), then let us know so we can take a look. But all-in-all, this library should spec-out very highly efficiency wise. IMO, the real problem is that it’s so easy to load multiple patches and then hit busy sequences, it becomes easy to lose track of how much you are actually pushing the machine (regardless of the LADD patches) simply from a voice count and FX standpoint.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Andrew K
    Participant

Hey Guys,

As you are messing around with CPU optimizations in LADD, please let us know if you can see any difference in CPU. We found it is best to use Activity Monitor or Task Manager (PC) when doing this as opposed to Kontakt CPU meter since the meter is not really reliable in a Hosted environment.

Also, let us know if the Graphics Refresh settings help (Main page > Setup > Performance):

[attachment=0:2x9wztm2]Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 11.34.17 AM.png[/attachment:2x9wztm2]

Cheers,

Andrew K

Sebastian K
    Participant

Hi Kays,

I did notice some clicking yesterday on a particularly busy Logic Pro session. Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but based on your expertise, is it better to have Multi-Processor enabled or disabled in the Kontakt plugin settings? And if so, is there a benefit in limiting the number of cores it will access (say to 10 if you have 16 cores)? I assume you guys have probably run all sorts of tests with and without. From my experience, I can’t tell much of a difference with either multi enabled or disabled.

I usually get the best performance with multi-processor support enabled and set to max cores in both Logic and Kontakt (and VEPro, actually). This is a bit of a gray-area, however. I haven’t done any in-depth benchmarking for a while now, but that’s where I ended up when I did – and it’s worked well for me ever since.

All the usual Logic performance rules apply. If you’re just using patches as orchestral perc, using multitimbral Kontakts should be more than fine. However, if you’re using a bunch of live playing sequences and FX changes you will see enormous benefit sticking the instruments in separate instances of Kontakt.

There’s also the possibility that it’s the Kontakt DSP clicking (if the clicks are corresponding to KeyFX changes). In this case, you can try to slightly raise the “Smoothing” time in the mixer.

Regards,
    Sebastian

midphase
    Participant

@Sebastian K wrote:

There’s also the possibility that it’s the Kontakt DSP clicking (if the clicks are corresponding to KeyFX changes). In this case, you can try to slightly raise the “Smoothing” time in the mixer.

Thank you Sebastian, I don’t think this was the case, but rather it was the annoying every-core-meter-is-hardly-moving-except-the-last-one-which-is-peaking issue in Logic Pro X (and 9 and 8 and 7). Unfortunately, I find that in these cases using multiple instances isn’t as good of a strategy since it can be typically caused by a single complex instrument instance.

I will run into a similar issue at times with Cinesamples Brass or Native Instruments Studio Drums. In the case of Studio Drums, they offer a “lite” version of the patches to minimize CPU spiking. I am not ready to say that LADD needs an “econo” mode quite yet, let me experiment some more since the issue is not consistent with all of the patches.

Andrew K
    Participant

@midphase wrote:

@Sebastian K wrote:

Thank you Sebastian, I don’t think this was the case, but rather it was the annoying every-core-meter-is-hardly-moving-except-the-last-one-which-is-peaking issue in Logic Pro X (and 9 and 8 and 7). Unfortunately, I find that in these cases using multiple instances isn’t as good of a strategy since it can be typically caused by a single complex instrument instance.

I will run into a similar issue at times with Cinesamples Brass or Native Instruments Studio Drums. In the case of Studio Drums, they offer a “lite” version of the patches to minimize CPU spiking. I am not ready to say that LADD needs an “econo” mode quite yet, let me experiment some more since the issue is not consistent with all of the patches.

A “lite” mode could easily be achieved with 1 KFX preset. Basically, bypassing the FX, only playing 1 mixer channel with 1 Mic mix etc.etc. I work on a 2009 Mac Pro to keep me honest and make sure that our releases work on 5 year old technology (which is considered an eternity for computers). But I’m not sure there needs to be a “light” patch (to be honest)… since this only really happens when layering multiple patches with high voice-count and FX… which is just the nature of pushing CPU with demanding parts.

Now… if it’s clicking on KFX changes with just 1 patch, then try what Sebastian said, and if with multiple patches, try to not do KFX changes all at the same time because even though we did some cool tricks under the hood to stop clicking, Kontakt will overload with snapshot data if a bunch of patches are doing a KFX change at precisely the same time.

Cheers,

Andrew K

soulofsound

Working on a Mac Pro 2008 here, and even with a lot of FX and switching between KeyFX i get no dropouts, and only 1 core is being used. Will report in more detail when i have spent more time testing.

Andrew K
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

Working on a Mac Pro 2008 here, and even with a lot of FX and switching between KeyFX i get no dropouts, and only 1 core is being used. Will report in more detail when i have spent more time testing.

Hi Willem,

I think there is no concern about dropouts or clicking on a single patch. That much we know we have optimized. But part of the fun of LADD is randomly dropping in patches and playing LADD sequences on the patches and seeing how they interplay. It’s when doing KFX key switches on all of the patches simultaneously that you may hear clicking. But honestly, aside from “spreading the wealth” on different instances of Kontakt, I’m not sure there is a way around this. It’s not the audio path… it is a KSP CPU spike in calculation.

Cheers,

Andrew K

soulofsound

It’s really smooth. I never got clicks so far. Now i know i’m running an old machine, but it doesn’t have hyperthreading, so maybe that’s an advantage running 8 physical cores, instead of 16 or more virtual.

soulofsound

In Logic I get clicks when i bounce though, strange as that may sound. Setting the smooth time parameter a little higher fixes it.

Andrew K
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

In Logic I get clicks when i bounce though, strange as that may sound. Setting the smooth time parameter a little higher fixes it.

Thanks Willem!! I had not tried offline bounce yet :-)

Cheers…. AK

Sebastian K
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

Hi Willem,

Good to know. If you leave the smoothing time alone, does changing the Kontakt offline option to “Perfect” help?

[attachment=0:18e7iu3p]offline.png[/attachment:18e7iu3p]

Regards,
    Sebastian

soulofsound

Yes, absolutely. This is perfect! Thanks so much.

Andrew K
    Participant

@Sebastian K wrote:

@soulofsound wrote:

Hi Willem,

Good to know. If you leave the smoothing time along, does changing the Kontakt offline option to “Perfect” help?

[attachment=0:1kezth6v]offline.png[/attachment:1kezth6v]

Regards,
    Sebastian

NIce one Seb!!

Cheers,

Andrew K

soulofsound

It might be helpful to include this in the manual, i think.

Andrew K
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

It might be helpful to include this in the manual, i think.

Yeah… there are a bunch of things I’m going to include in the manual this weekend. Then next week we are going to update the Beta version with new patches and new features. I think these will be the final features for the release.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Beta 1’ is closed to new topics and replies.