Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

Gábor, you’re in Europe, too, aren’t you?

Gabor is in the beautiful land of Budapest, Hungary.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Brian Ralston
    Participant

Just installed. Took about 1 hour 15 minutes for total download and install, give or take on ATT UVerse Fiber (45mb). Faster than I anticipated. Cool!

soulofsound

New modem, better connection, enormous improvement. Now i’m downloading at nearly 3MB/s. I will download the remaining 6GB in approximately half an hour. Pretty neat. And this over WiFi, not even at full speed.

Andrew K
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

New modem, better connection, enormous improvement. Now i’m downloading at nearly 3MB/s. I will download the remaining 6GB in approximately half an hour. Pretty neat. And this over WiFi, not even at full speed.

Glad to hear… And interesting that it turned out to be the modem!! I wonder how many of our customers with “bad connections” just have a bad modem?

What brand/kind of modem was it?
    Cheers…. AK.

soulofsound

I don’t know for sure which brand it was as it was branded by my ISP, but I think it was a Motorola. My ISP told me the modem, which was installed in 2009, couldn’t keep up with the current speed of their network. So recently they told me to get a new modem to get the higher speed. I must say the difference is quite big. I thought i could go as high as 2MBps before, but i must have gotten that wrong somehow, cause i see now your server is capable of at least 3MBps and with the old setup i could only get as high as 800kBps, downloading with the audiobro downloader.
    Now the greatest bottleneck apparently was the WiFi. I say this cause the new modem’s got a WiFi network built-in, where i used to have my own access point. When i now switch to the old network (which i have also connected to the new modem for testing), i can only get 800kBps like before. Connecting to the new network, i get the much higher speeds.

So yes the modem does make a difference, but the WiFi access point makes the biggest difference.

My old WiFi box : http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DWL/DWL%20G700AP/Manual/DWL_G700AP_Manual_v2_20_EN_UK.pdf is only IEEE 802.11g, whereas the newer is also IEEE 802.11n. Now Wireless N is also pretty old. Tells me i probably should have bought a new WiFi box years ago. :) It never occurred to me the difference would be this big.

That said, i have been testing WiFi settings all morning, and the difference between the different channels is huge. Sometimes the speed drops by half when i switch to another WiFi channel. There is only 1 other WiFi network from a neighbour, so the drop is unlikely the result from interference from this network. When i set the WiFi bandwidth from 20MHz to “automatic”, the connection speed drops by 75%. So many parameters to take into account.

Anyway, off to testing your great new library now. I’ve been looking forward to this.

MWP

Download took approx 2 1/2 hrs. Went and had dinner came back and voila! LASS and now apparently LADD has the easiest installation process I’ve ever encountered. Looking forward to digging into this lib.

Andrew K
    Participant

@MWP wrote:

Download took approx 2 1/2 hrs. Went and had dinner came back and voila! LASS and now apparently LADD has the easiest installation process I’ve ever encountered. Looking forward to digging into this lib.

Thanks Matt!!

Hopefully our next Audiobro Download Center (ADC) application (due out any day) will be even faster and increase download speeds with multi-threading.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Sagar
    Blocked

Hi Guys.

I was able to download it without any problem. 2 1/2 hours on ethernet.

Sagar

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Beta 1’ is closed to new topics and replies.