Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@midphase wrote:

Here is a small annoyance, every time that I open a LADD instrument, and adjust something, then if I close the instrument Kontakt asks me if I want to save the changes.

I realize it’s a catch-22, because yes, I want Kontakt to inform me about the fact that I’m about to lose my changes, while at the same time LADD is the type of library where the user is inclined to make some tweaks before deciding if they really want to use the instrument or move on to another one.

Is there some scripting indicator that tells Kontakt when to pop-up the save alert or not? I realize that this might seem like a dumb question, but for some reason on libraries like LASS or others, the alert doesn’t come up, but with LADD I feel like Kontakt is constantly asking me if I want to save and it’s a bit of a nuisance when trying to work quickly before the inspiration leaves the room.

Anyone else noticed this?

Hi Midphase,

This is a known problem with Kontakt and we don’t have control over that. In fact, even if you do save it, before you close the patch, you’ll likely get a save dialogue. This is especially annoying for developers because 1/2 of the time I’m like “didn’t I just save that??” and then I save it again to be sure LOL.

Cheers,

Andrew K

soulofsound

Same here, not really helpful info: awesome library. I’m ashamed to say i’m still using the presets. Not that it’s hard to program. It’s just so easy to get good results with the presets.

Andrew K
    Participant

@soulofsound wrote:

Same here, not really helpful info: awesome library. I’m ashamed to say i’m still using the presets. Not that it’s hard to program. It’s just so easy to get good results with the presets.

That’s totally ok Willem. :mrgreen:

When LASS came out, we expected everyone to be an engineer and get their own good mix out of LASS by adding good reverbs etc. With LADD, we want the users to feel confident they can use the patches AS-IS with no external processing and it will sound great.

WE actually don’t expect you to find many bugs that we have missed in programming LADD… since we’ve definitely put it to the test… but I’m sure some will crop up!

Cheers,

Andrew K

soulofsound

Thing is: i find myself “playing” the sequences and keyfx as if they’re samples but with much nicer and much more detailed results in seriously less time. It’s nice to be able to work intuitively like this and know I still have all those programming features available when i need them.

Brian Ralston
    Participant

After having it a week…I have a lot of positive feeling about the library. The sounds are great. The overall look is good. The ability to tweak things is great. I will continue to give my thoughts as I play with it.

My one, gut reaction, constructive feedback point at this stage is simply this…

…the overall interface seems intimidating at first. There are so many things one can click, adjust, menus within menus, etc…I would highly recommend on the website and in how you sell the library to direct new users to tutorial videos that you all put up (I assume that you will)..because for me they have been helpful. But it is not a library where I open it and instinctively know where things are and how to start making sounds. So…as a new user, I have to know up front that there will be a learning curve.

In the entire interface…the biggest thing that is not readily apparent to me on first glance (until it was shown to me)…is that the little “radar screens” are actually buttons that can be pushed/clicked and that takes you into a sequence editor for that layer. Since accessing that page is one that a user would do a lot, especially if they want to begin customizing their pre-made loops…then I would recommend finding some way to further make it apparent that you can click on those round radar screen buttons to get into that sequence editor. If that makes sense?

That is just the one thing about the design layout that is not so clear to me visually and it probably should be. As to what to call that section…maybe the “loop creator”…and call each strip a “layer”. Or something like that. Essentially that is what it allows one to do. Create customized loops with many customized layers.

Andrew K
    Participant

@Brian Ralston wrote:

After having it a week…I have a lot of positive feeling about the library. The sounds are great. The overall look is good. The ability to tweak things is great. I will continue to give my thoughts as I play with it.

My one, gut reaction, constructive feedback point at this stage is simply this…

…the overall interface seems intimidating at first. There are so many things one can click, adjust, menus within menus, etc…I would highly recommend on the website and in how you sell the library to direct new users to tutorial videos that you all put up (I assume that you will)..because for me they have been helpful. But it is not a library where I open it and instinctively know where things are and how to start making sounds. So…as a new user, I have to know up front that there will be a learning curve.

In the entire interface…the biggest thing that is not readily apparent to me on first glance (until it was shown to me)…is that the little “radar screens” are actually buttons that can be pushed/clicked and that takes you into a sequence editor for that layer. Since accessing that page is one that a user would do a lot, especially if they want to begin customizing their pre-made loops…then I would recommend finding some way to further make it apparent that you can click on those round radar screen buttons to get into that sequence editor. If that makes sense?

That is just the one thing about the design layout that is not so clear to me visually and it probably should be. As to what to call that section…maybe the “loop creator”…and call each strip a “layer”. Or something like that. Essentially that is what it allows one to do. Create customized loops with many customized layers.

Thanks for the input Brian,

Absolutely we will have videos. But there will also be “LADD Video Demos” that will show users LADD (while play some big whiz-bang perc track) as a sales tool without being too intimidating — Hopefully just inspiring. We will take great care how we initially present this library… because it really is Load-&-Play but it also looks like it could be Houston Ground Control. So, we want the main page to look inviting and not too intimidating.

We did have a ‘wrench’ as an edit icon per sequence in one of the earlier WIP versions of LADD… and it simply looked really annoying… 8 wrenches… one for each Seq. and it ate up a lot of room. So we figured we cold give the RADARs dual use. But you are right. It’s not “obvious’… so we’ll have to make it so in the sales videos and materials. Once you know.. then it’s second nature. But the idea of adding 8 more icons to the interface wants to make me cry :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Andrew K

midphase
    Participant

This thread is my repository of thoughts, I hope they don’t come across too negatively but unfortunately I think it’s more useful for me to tell you what is kinda irking me rather than to repeat over and over how awesome LADD is (which it really is).

So here goes another nitpick:

In the Sequencer editor page, the Zoom -+ keys seem straightforward enough….except hitting + actually lowers the steps number and – raises them. I know, I know, I totally understand why…it’s just the OCD in me that causes a small convulsion whenever I hit the + button and the number goes from 64 to 32. May I lobby to get rid of the -+ buttons and just keep it as a drop-down menu? Once again, I appreciate that you’re giving the end user so many options, but IMHO I really find myself wishing for less buttons and less stuff to click on.

Anyone agree, disagree, doesn’t care either way?

midphase
    Participant

On the instrument: Bass & Gran Casa (and sorry for the correction, but being Italian let me inform you that unless you mean Big House it should be Gran Cassa) Euro V2, I am definitely hearing some phasing going on, unless my ears are playing tricks on me. But just to be safe, you might consider double checking. :D

midphase
    Participant

I’m on a roll here… :D

I am sure you guys will fix this, but IMHO all Instruments should default to the natural state when first loaded. Right now, not all instruments default to C0, which can be a bit confusing when loading up something that should sound “normal” like the Bass & Gran Loose BD ALL (No IR…) but which open defaulting to F0 which is a filtered effect.

Also, on that same instrument, there is a B2 key which doesn’t have any samples mapped to it. It might be intentional, but I would advise minimizing any instrument keys without any samples mapped to it as to avoid the frustrating result of having the end user press the key thinking that perhaps the sample has an incredible slow attack or is very soft, only to realize after a couple of minutes that the key doesn’t have any samples assigned to it….just a thought. :mrgreen:

midphase
    Participant

Ok…label this as a suggestion and not a bug report or critique:

I would love to see the Dynamics value paired to the Velocity value of the sequence triggering keyswitches. IMHO there is a missed opportunity here to take advantage of the velocity value that you get from how hard or softly the user presses the sequence triggering note, why not put all that cool data to good use? The sequence keyswitches seem to disregard input velocity, but IMHO they shouldn’t. I think if the keyswitch is pressed softly, why not have the dynamics value reflect this and vice-versa?

Does what I’m saying make sense?

P.S.

You know, the same could be true of the Key FX keyswitches. Why not affect some of the values depending on the input velocity from the user? So low velocity values would yield more subtle applications of a particular effect/tuning combo while top range value would reach the 100% wet value for everything….why not?

midphase
    Participant

Ok…weird bug….do this:

Select and load an instrument (say Ethnic Taikos).

Hit C0 (or any of the KeyFX keyswitches).

Look at the Morph Mastering panel, it should say something like Clean -> Clean

Ok, without touching anything else, hit the right (or left) arrow in the Kontakt preset to switch to the next instrument in line (if you started with Ethnic Taikos, then you should now have Hits & Booms – Big Hits I loaded)

Don’t touch anything, but look at that Morph Mastering setting, it will no longer say Clean -> Clean or similar, but it will have a number.

Now, click on that pull down menu to change the Morph Mastering FX to another preset, none of the preset names appear but instead numbers from 0 to 2499 are now populating the pull down menu.

Ok, now go ahead and hit C0

Notice how the numbers in the pull-down menu now changed to correctly display the various Mastering FX presets like NoDistortion -> Crunch.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Sebastian K
    Participant

Hi Kays,

Thanks for the report. That’s almost as “known” issue – though I’ve never tried the next-inst version.

This should be sorted out as soon as we move over to a fully Native Instrument-ized version of the library, but now I know another way we should be testing it.

Note that you may have similar issues if you try to load a multi or drag a bunch of instruments into your Kontakt at once (some may show just numbers for mastering effects presets). Again – should be taken care of once we get files back from NI.

Thanks again!

Sebastian

midphase
    Participant

Tonal – Tympani Hits + Rolls (velocity) appears to have no sample mapped to B3 even though the key is labeled Blue. I am sure that you guys will go through and double check everything, but I just wanted to mention it so that it doesn’t fall through the cracks.

midphase
    Participant

I’m just going to post this comment, and you guys take it for what it’s worth:

I kinda sorta wish there was more subsonic energy / low end to some of the beefier hits.

There I said it! :o

Perhaps I’m a bit too biased toward rumbles and other things that shake up my studio, but on some of the instruments like the bass drums, low toms, frame drum and hits & booms I still find myself wanting to feel that subsonic pressure that I’m accustomed to with some of my other sounds, and I would undoubtedly reach for the SubBass plugin in Logic Pro to add some of that. It’s a subtle thing, but very desirable in today’s demand for floor-shaking “epic” sounding cues.

Then again…maybe it’s just me! :D

Andrew K
    Participant

@midphase wrote:

I’m just going to post this comment, and you guys take it for what it’s worth:

I kinda sorta wish there was more subsonic energy / low end to some of the beefier hits.

There I said it! :o

Perhaps I’m a bit too biased toward rumbles and other things that shake up my studio, but on some of the instruments like the bass drums, low toms, frame drum and hits & booms I still find myself wanting to feel that subsonic pressure that I’m accustomed to with some of my other sounds, and I would undoubtedly reach for the SubBass plugin in Logic Pro to add some of that. It’s a subtle thing, but very desirable in today’s demand for floor-shaking “epic” sounding cues.

Then again…maybe it’s just me! :D

Already done that… :mrgreen: Just haven’t sent it out to the Beta team yet. Be careful to not blow your speakers 8-) :o

The patch will be called Deep Hits.

Also, I think we will have a Morph Master Effects preset were you can dial in real-time a big low sub sound on any patch that has low frequncy content. Still thinking about that.

Cheers,

Andrew K

MWP

Hi Guys,

I’m not sure if my comments will reflect something already posted as I haven’t read every post so please forgive any unnecessary reiteration on my part.
    I dig the library! It truly has a uniqueness that will no doubt prove to be very useful for a number of composers in a variety of genres most notably film,
    and gaming, but also commercials and T.V as well. Hat’s off to the bros at Audiobro.

Given the nature of beta testing, I do have a couple of thoughts that may prove useful if implemented.

I’m not a huge fan of sequencers within apps that will be used in DAWs that in most cases handle the sequencer duties – but they definitely can
    be useful in certain situations. I just usually prefer to ‘roll my own’ given the editing capabilities of most if not all DAWs these days.
    That said, my two comments are oddly enough directed at the sequencer…go figure.

1. I would love to be able to control the dynamics of the sequences not only with a slider – which imho is very useful especially for rolls, etc., but also
    with velocity. Maybe it could be an either/or situation or even both simultaneously.

2. Could the default steps length equal the length of the sequence being used instead of defaulting to 32steps?

Again, if these issues have already been noted – or maybe I missed their presence in the program – then please forgive this post.

Good work Audiobros!

Matt

midphase
    Participant

@Andrew K wrote:

Also, I think we will have a Morph Master Effects preset were you can dial in real-time a big low sub sound on any patch that has low frequncy content. Still thinking about that.

A big fat YES vote on that one from me! :D

midphase
    Participant

@MWP wrote:

1. I would love to be able to control the dynamics of the sequences not only with a slider – which imho is very useful especially for rolls, etc., but also
    with velocity. Maybe it could be an either/or situation or even both simultaneously.

Yep, that’s what I mentioned also a few posts ago. I would definitely love that too!

Andrew K
    Participant

@MWP wrote:

I like the idea… but that may be trickier than it appears on the surface. Because of it’s integration into the mixer with the CC1, it may pose some trcky issues. We’ll talk about this internally. I like the idea though.
    @MWP wrote:

2. Could the default steps length equal the length of the sequence being used instead of defaulting to 32steps?

Yes. Since the vast majority of Sequences are 128 steps, would it be ok to have it default to 128 steps? Or would that be too small a resolution to look at? Personally, I like it at 128 unless I’m doing mousey editing.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Andrew K
    Participant

@midphase wrote:

@Andrew K wrote:

A big fat YES vote on that one from me! :D

Ok… I’ve already done a preset. However, do you want to boost the subs… or also dull the High freqs? I just made it boost the subs (and added some hair to the low end).

Let me know.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • The forum ‘Beta 1’ is closed to new topics and replies.