Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just thought I’d start a new thread because the “initial thoughts” one is getting pretty long.

I wanted to say that while there are projects where I will spend huge amounts of time tweaking and painstakingly uniquefying my music, there are many times where I wear a bit of a “lazy composer” hat. Typically on projects where there is a time crunch, or those projects where the music is a bit of an afterthought and nobody (including the producers and director) really wants me to invest too much time on the music. Some sample libraries have been supremely accommodating to this latter type of composing. Symphobia comes to mind with its Combis, or Albion, or even Stylus RMX.

I see LADD as also being a tool that is very appealing to the composer who is looking for an easy way to create music that sounds great, without needing to spend a great deal of time tweaking everything. Essentially the composer who will more than likely stay on the front page of LADD exclusively and rely for the most part on the pre-sequenced loops.

I would like to be the advocate for that guy, and come out and say that I would love…LOVE…more sequence keyswitches. 12 instead of 8 would be really cool (I know…the GUI on the front page is kinda designed for 8). As a matter of fact, I wish that the FX and the Sequences keyswitches would be reversed. I don’t know if I really need 12 variations of FX types, but I sure would love 12 sequences per preset…or more.

I would also love if there was a simpler way to fine tune the global reverb wet/dry ratio without needing to go into the Mixer page.

Lastly, as a lazy composer advocate, I hope that the final version of the library will be organized in such a way as to make it pretty fast and simple to find a specific instrument within the overall hierarchy of the library.

Feel free to ignore any or all of those suggestions, but at the very least I think that you might find it helpful to be aware of those thoughts.

P.S.

Are there any plans for a “Lite” version of this library, or perhaps a “Loops Only” version?

Sebastian K
    Participant

Hi Kays,

Thanks for that. We definitely hope that LADD will be helpful to both the lazy(and under-the-gun) composers – and those who want to take the time to do their own programming.

I would like to be the advocate for that guy, and come out and say that I would love…LOVE…more sequence keyswitches. 12 instead of 8 would be really cool (I know…the GUI on the front page is kinda designed for 8). As a matter of fact, I wish that the FX and the Sequences keyswitches would be reversed. I don’t know if I really need 12 variations of FX types, but I sure would love 12 sequences per preset…or more.

I hear what you’re saying. The pre-created sequences are definitely a compelling part of this library- especially for quick writing. There are performance concerns related to the number of sequences that are running, so 8 became a bit of a balance between what we could fit on the UI and what would make sense performance wise.

That said – the sequence presets and KeyFX can contribute to the variation beyond just effect changes. There are a couple ways this works:

1. Sometimes it’s just a matter of muting/unmuting mixer channels – or affecting the volume levels. You can have a lot of stuff running but pick out individual parts to hear upon KeySwitch.

2. The sequence presets allow you to shift the start/length/rate of any of the 8 sequences upon KeySwitch (or CC if desired). One approach is to think of each sequence as four 32-step sub-sequences that can be switched to.

Neither of these is quite as easy as just having 4 extra keys, of course. But there’s a lot of variation (including the basic sequence itself) in there. And we can include additional sequences to load from disk as well.

I would also love if there was a simpler way to fine tune the global reverb wet/dry ratio without needing to go into the Mixer page.

This could be done (if there was UI space somewhere). But it gets complicated because:

1. It’s one of those controls that might have no affect (if none of the mix channels have reverb send going out)

2. It gets even more complicated since there is also a reverb-mix which could be active and wouldn’t respond to the control

Lastly, as a lazy composer advocate, I hope that the final version of the library will be organized in such a way as to make it pretty fast and simple to find a specific instrument within the overall hierarchy of the library.

Definitely! If you imagine the beginning of each patch-name as as folder, you’ll get an idea on our organizational thoughts. There’s a reason it’s all in one folder right now – but that won’t be the case for much longer.

Thanks, Kays!

Andrew K
    Participant

Thanks Kays… Great Post!

I will add to what Sebastian said by saying this:

When we get the Audio Loop encoded… you will have TONS AND TONS of “Lazy Composer” Ammo. This is a huge part of the library that I think has gone unnoticed by everyone except 1 beta tester.

There will be 5GB+ of loops and real performances that will be so easily Keysiwtched for different performances (because the loops mixes (that sound completely different) will be switched with KFX keyswitches) that I think those will be the GO TO Lazy Boy patches.

Check on the “LOOPS (75bpm – Tuned To Tempo) Straight.nki” and you’ll see what I mean. Then start triggering the different Key FX.

I’m not sure why this patch has not garnered any posts, but I think it most likely because there is just one of them for the time being and the name is not very sexy and therefore gets lost in the shoffle (no pun intended).

Anyway…. This is to say that LADD will be a Lazy Composer’s dream. In fact, we originally called it LADD:

Lazy Ass Deadline Drums :)

Cheers,

Andrew K

midphase
    Participant

Thank you guys.

Now I can go back to my napping knowing that I’ll still meet my deadline without problems! :D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Beta 1’ is closed to new topics and replies.